Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Magic Encounter

I have absolutely too much homework to do so I thought I would do something completely different. Ashley and I were talking yesterday about how some people met and it made me think of our own meeting, so I thought I would post it on here. It really was a magic time. The thought still brings back those magical feelings, but as I remember it...
I had just graduated from high school, I hadn't quite turned 18 yet since I have a summer birthday, but it was time for my final youth conference. If you were on the prowl for a Molly Mormon this was the place to be. I had regularly attended the youth dances, firesides, and other youth activities so I thought I knew most everyone. There was one person though, whom I had never noticed even though I had technically met her before. For the record, Ashley had been introduced to me at Priest/Laurel fireside although I have no recollection whatsoever of having ever met her or seen her before the youth conference of 2001. But lo and behold, I was walking down the hall and I caught a glimpse of her in the kitchen and it was like kazaaam! I guess it was just the right moment and also I guess I wasn't too sure I was really seeing her because I did a triple-take as I passed. She saw me do the triple take which made me feel a little insecure. It turned out however, that she knew who I was and was wanting to get to know me, so I am sure it was gratifying to her to get my attention like that. It seems so funny to me now, that I never noticed her before that time. I believe it was an inspired meeting. But on with the story...
After I saw her all of those feelings started, you know what I am talking about, those feelings when you have a crush and you have never talked to the person, but you are always keeping your eye on them to see where they are and what they are doing, and hoping that somehow you can meet them and magically fall in love. If you have never felt that, watch the movie "Snow Day" for a theoretical understanding. Sorry, sidetracked again...
This is where things get a little complicated. As I mentioned earlier, Ashley was already hunting me ("hunting" might be a bit more than what it really was but it builds up my ego to say it that way, and it will make Ashley blush when she reads it). The young people from each ward were assigned to different service projects. Ashley, being the rebel she is, took her name off of the list where she was supposed to be and wrote it on my Ward's list so that she could be in the same group with a certain special somebody ( I will leave to the reader to guess whom that somebody might be). A little bit later she felt guilty for her outlaw behavior and she put her name back on the appropriate list. However, right before we were to set out for the service projects, they announced that Ashley's ward's project was cancelled and that they would be going with the my ward to help paint a house. If this was ever dramatized as a movie, I am sure in that moment it would show ashley looking up toward heaven as the clouds parted and a beam of sunlight fell right upon her while "Ode to Joy" began ringing through the atmosphere, haha. I however, was unaware of any of this, I was not unaware however that she was at the service project I was at. The whole time we were painting I was keeping my eye out for her and hoping to find the right time to say something smooth and very impressive. The right time came but the wrong words tripped out of my mouth. Actually they must have been the right words because she is still here but "smooth and very impressive" are the most devout antonym of the adjectives that should be used to describe my pick-up line...
I was painting the underside of the roof over-hang when I noticed she was talking to one of the young men from my ward. My heart leapt! This was my chance! My heart was beating so loud as to prevent any rational thought, she was there and I was walking towards her and that was all that mattered. It was probably alot like that part on "the Sandlot" when Squints walks like zombie right off the diving board because of his obsession with the lifegaurd. I arrived and she turned to look at me, I knew that I was suppose to say something but what! And as happens all too often, one of the idle threads in my brain processes came into contact with the nerves that control my tongue and I spoke my first words to Ashley. "Will you lick your finger and get the paint off my nose?" I am sure that the unborn spirits of the legions that were to be mine and Ashley's descendants immediately began to look for another family as they were sure that I completely just demolished any chance I had of ever marrying Ashley. I guess those were the magic words however, because she did it and that started the adventure. We dated for a year before my mission in which time Ashley really was my best friend. She encouraged and strengthened me to do what was right in every moment I spent with her. A mission, 6 months, 3 anniversaries and 2 kids later, here we are. She is still my bestfriend and the love of my life.

1 comments:

Beth said...

Aw Jude, that is so sweet! Those first memories of a relationship are so special and magical.