Sunday, March 30, 2008

Nashville Reunion



We dropped the girls off at my parent's home and hit the road for Nashville. The trip started with a thunderstorm, and at one point we had to pull off the road because we could not see more than a few feet ahead. We were going on a double date with one of my old mission companions and his wife. Scott Emge was one of the few missionaries on my mission from the South, and also the one I formed the closest bond with. We have kept in touch since the mission ended and Ashley and I had the opportunity to attend his wedding. It had been a year and one half since we last met up and we were pretty excited about this opportunity. We started out by meeting at the Nashville temple to do some "work for the dead." If you are not LDS and you want to learn more about that then go here:
temple-work
baptism-for-the-dead
It was great to see such a wonderful friend in such a wonderful place.
Come lunch time we headed out for Nola's restaurant. If you search for "Argentine Food" in Nashville, you will find it. The chef is actually a native Uruguayan but that is Argentina's neighbor and the food is the same. And it was even better than I remember!!!
Here is the menu: Menu
We ordered Milanesa sandwiches, Milanesa Napolitana, and Choripan. I forgot just how greasy everything was but it was wonderful. The store owner was awesome also. She is real layed back and she sat down and talked with us for a little while. My Spanish was awful! If you don't use it, you lose it. She told us that if we ever wanted noquis to just call ahead of time, otherwise come on the 29th day of the month (official noqui day in the latino world). I am pretty sure she would make anything we asked her to make for us, so next time we will be going with empanadas and flan for desert. The portions are huge!
We did have the opportunity to talk a little bit about the Church and she gladly accepted our invitation to talk with the missionaries. So maybe next time we go, she will be a mormon.
I was so excited up to this point that I forgot to take pictures.
Next we headed over to Las Paletas.
Las Paletas means "the sticks" as in "the pop-sicle sticks". And that is exactly what they vender. They have all sorts of crazy flavors like "chocolate with hot peppers". Sounds gross huh? It isn't. You can not taste the peppers at all, they just add a zing to the pop-cicle. They also had pistachio, honey-dew melon, creamy lime, and all sorts of others. It changes everyday since they make them there in the store. The pistachio was by far the best flavor. If you do not believe me then try it yourself.
We then headed over to the Gaylord Opryland Hotel. What a funny name. On a side note, my Grandmother told me the other day that a phrase used to describe handsome young bachelor's back in the day was "Gay-Blades". How ridiculous! I know I am childish, but the word has always had a different meaning in my life time.
We just walked around for a while and looked at the "rain forest". It is actually really amazing, and if you have never been then you must go and see it. They have a river and waterfall, and tri-level shopping center all built within a dome in the middle of the hotel. Actually there are multiple hotels and each has its own impressive arrangement.
We then called it quits, said our good byes, and headed home.
It was nice to see a good friend and reminisce about old times.

1 comments:

Debbie said...

Sounds fun! I'm glad you guys had a great time! It's good that you are close enough to one of your mission comps that you can get together occasionally. I haven't been to the Opryland Hotel since the 8th grade and would love to go back!