While thinking about motherhood today, I had an interesting thought. It is written,
“Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels.”
While thinking about that quote this scripture came to mind:
“But whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant.”
And I realized that is why mothers are so wonderful. Mothers give up so many of their ambitions and wants to spend years serving little creatures that are completely dependent upon them, not to mention putting up with knuckle-headed husbands. Really, the job of a mom is rough. Years of changing diapers, cleaning up disaster areas, folding infinite loads of laundry, cooking, and ear-splitting screams. Years of worrying over your children's development, and late night vigils by a sick child's bead side. And during all of this, mothers often have little time to devote to their own personal wants and hobbies. And what have they received for all of this? They have been demeaned and scorned by men for a long time. They were denied privileges and mistreated and viewed as having a “lesser” role. It is interesting to see the statistics now of how girls out-perform boys in school at all levels. It makes you appreciate even more the sacrifice they make by subjecting themselves to dependence upon their husband for support, when they could be the one to provide a better living for the family. Thinking about all this one realizes why “Motherhood is near to divinity”; it is because it is modeled after the life of Jesus Christ. It is a life of condescension into the humble service of God's children. A woman with so many freedoms and aspirations who could achieve so much in this world, sacrifices all to willingly subject herself to the quiet and often unrecognized task of bearing and rearing children. I just want to let Ashley know that I love and appreciate her. I also love and appreciate all the trouble my mom went through on my behalf, and actually I appreciate all of you moms. May God bless you all.
- Jude
- Jude

3 comments:
Beautifully put Jude!
Aww.. thanks, Jude! This was very sweet! I tell you what- it definitely has been hard to put away my feeling of independence and ambitions as far as a career goes and just completely focus on my family although I KNOW that it's the right decision. Taylor has become one of my very best friends, and I definitely want what is best for her!
Wow, Jude, you are wiser than your years. I am so impressed by your comments on Mothers. You are very wise. You and Ashley are very special and have a wonderful family.
Post a Comment