Sunday, September 07, 2008

Bumpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall...

Evie was riding on my shoulders this evening while I washed a sippi-cup and heated some milk for her to drink. In our kitchen there is a low hanging light. Maybe I should say "there was a low hanging light." I really added this line in for the suspense because nothing happened to the light, but maybe it is not appropriate to switch tense when telling a story. Anyways....Evie almost bumped her head on the light and said something along the lines of "Almost bump my head." She then surprised me with her rendition of "the intsy wintsy bumpy bumpy."
She sung something like:
Bumpy Bumpy sat on the wall;
Bumpy Bumpy had a fall;
Bumpy Bumpy up the wall again;
Kings horses, kings men, put bumpy together again.

I do not know if she really thinks the word "humpty" is "bumpy" in this nusery rhyme or if she was mixing in her own words. Singing incorrect words to a song is something we all do. For instance that song by Def Leppard (I was about to write Deaf Leopard, but luckily I looked up the name to make sure I spelled it correctly): Pour Some Sugar on Me. I could never understand the lyrics when they sang the line "Pour Some Sugar on Meeee." For years, in the fear of public social ridicule, I would quietly sing those lines to myself as I thought they went (mainly unrecognized consonants grouped in non-sensical ways). My fear was substantiated when I married into my new family. The story is frequently recounted how one of my in-law relatives used to sing "Horse down, shoot me like a ray" while pretending that his/her cupped hands were a hand gun. I will not mention the name or give further hints to the identity of said in-law to protect her from further embarassment. Ooops.

Jude Collins

1 comments:

Megan said...

For the record, the "Horse down, shoot me like a ray" in-law is NOT me. =)